Friday, December 28, 2018

Gingerbread Houses


After last year's fun graham cracker house decorating, I decided to step up our game this year with actual gingerbread house kits.  I did elect to assemble them with hot glue instead of icing, in order to cut down on our assembly time and potential frustration.  We got our bowls of candy and bags of icing ready and started decorating!



I did give Ashby quite a bit of help, but followed all her design instructions. 



Tongue out, eyes focused, deep concentration







Working the icing bag like a pro









I also introduced Finley to the power and versatility of a hot glue gun.....he was hooked and wanted to hot glue everything in sight!



Our finished gingerbread village....impressive masterpieces!



The kids wanted to be sure to take a picture of the back of the houses also






Ashby's design included yellow Skittles in the windows to be the lights, and one gingerbread man missing his head on the roof......casualty of a hungry home builder.






Sadie's house design was more minimal, but she thoughtfully and intentionally placed each element.



Several gumdrop trees outside Finley's houses, courtesy of his newfound love for the hot glue gun.  And please don't miss the gingerbread men scaling the roof....that's how a nine year old boy does gingerbread house decorating.

No comments: