Friday, June 1, 2018

Last Days


Ashby was the first one to finish her school year this spring. She had a great year in the four year old class and I think her favorite parts were making crafts with coloring and painting, and playing with her friends in the gym or on the playground.  She loved staying for an extra hour on Wednesdays for Lunch Bunch, although I think the longer day often led to a tired and grumpy drive home. I am grateful for the teachers who loved and cared for her this year at preschool, and while it will make our schedule a little easier next year, I will miss walking through those doors every week. 






Ashby has the most beautiful smile and curls, and they reflect the joy and energy that she has inside her!



We had several special events to attend for the bigger kids before the end of the Veritas school year. The Third grade celebrates their reading of the Chronicles of Narnia by holding their own Narnia Naming Ceremony during the last week of school.  Parents are asked to send in a word that best describes a strength or virtue of their child and a verse that celebrates that virtue. Each student dons a crown and robe, and is announced to all the students and parents as they have their special moment processing down the aisle, while hearing their new royal name for the first time.



Finley was announced as "King Finley the Curious!" and our chosen verse was Matthew 7:7-8.



I think Finley felt very special hearing the name that we had chosen for him.  We love how he is so curious about so many things and how his questions lead us into so many interesting and varied conversations. We know the Lord will use his curiosity in unique ways!



Finley also had a great time participating in a Medieval Times themed field day for the 2nd through 4th grades.  And extra bonus, his team won the award for Best Sportmenship! (He in the middle with gray shorts and black shorts)



Sadie's class participated in the Kindergarten Showcase, and we got to see many of the songs and lessons they have learned. She has overcome (or just grown out of) a lot of shyness being in front of a group and is a diligent participant who follows directions well and knows all her lines and steps. 





These almost-graduated Kindergarteners look so big to me, but I know in just a few short years we will look back at these pictures and say "Awwww" at how young they were.






Sadie also got to have fun on her field day, named Colonial Days for Kindergarten and 1st grade. All the kids eagerly anticipate the highlight event of the day, eating donuts off a string!



The kids did many colonial themed activities and I had fun leading Sadie's group through all of them, including writing with quill pens.



Ms. Fleshman really appreciated Sadie's sweet and gentle nature in her classroom.



Sadie did so well this year in Kindergarten.  The first few months were a bigger transition that I had anticipated, as she missed her beloved K4 classroom and experience, and was adjusting to a more academically focused day.  Most days after school early in the year she was eager to change into dress up clothes to play pretend and have some alone time after school to decompress.  And as the school year we saw her become a more and more confident and comfortable Kindergartner. I have continued to recognize how she processes and learns differently from her brother in school, and it's a much quieter more internal process. Consequently, I'm not always certain what she is learning, until she busts out knowing it!  An example this year was reading.....I wasn't very diligent about practicing with her during the first half of the year, but she was already well on her way when we started reading out loud together in the spring and by the end of the school year she loves to read!



Finley had another good year in school.  He is a strong student and quick learner, but I think he felt the "work" of school and it's daily schedule in a new way this year.  I wasn't surprised, as we had been warned that third grade is a transition year of sorts, when the school work and expectations begin to ramp up. He kept up with the material with no problem, but lunch and recess were eagerly anticipated breaks each day to talk and play with his friends.  



This kid loves life and is so happy!



Pretty fun to think that next year little sister will be in this picture too!



After all their cooperation for pictures, I told them they could pick their own pose for a final shot.....I think this one represents their personalities pretty well!



While the kids were busy finishing up their school years, Mike was crossing his own finish line.  After dreaming, planning and working towards it for several years, he has gotten the opportunity to join his colleague in running their own private equity firm. He has wanted this practically from the time he finished graduate school, so we are so proud of and happy for him!  The kids put a lot of thought and love into making this fun sign to celebrate his new beginning!

No comments: